Care of Indian Tent Turtle (Pangshura Tentoria):-

It is also sold as Singapore Turtle or American Turtle along with Red Eared Sliders as they resemble them when young. Since it was my first turtle and I didn't knew much about turtles at that time so  couldn't take pictures of it. The images below are courtesy of www.chelonia.org and google.





From the images above you can see clearly why it is so easy for them to be confused for Red eared sliders by inexperienced keepers.

Enclosure:

the basic enclosure is same as any other turtle species containing a tank, water, substrate if  you want (personally i don't prefer substrate as it clogs up with uneaten food and poop etc.), a strong filtration system, a basking platform, a basking light and a thermostat to keep the water temperature constant around 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have a pond then ensure that it is properly covered and protected from predators like Kite, Cats, dogs etc. and that the turtle cannot climb it.
the basic idea of enclosure can be shown as:
a basic tank setup for keeping turtles 
     make  sure that the basking platform is accessible to the turtle and he can climb on it. for basking light use 80-100 W bulb and if you can, provide a UV light also for the Turtle at basking site, you can get it from online sources, if not then make sure that you let your turtle out in sunlight at least for 2 hrs. a day.

Diet and miscellaneous:

It is omnivorous, means it eats every thing. I have fed it variety including Ghost Shrimps, crickets, earthworms,snails, mosquito larva, aquatic insects,feeder fish, aquatic plants, spinach, carrot, radish leaves etc. Initially it eats everything but as they grow they start preferring more vegetarian diet.
Size of this turtle varies from 8"-12". Females grow to a larger size than males but males are brighter in color.  Not much Information is available on their breeding and I was also not able to find a female for breeding. If anyone has any information they are welcome to share it here and I will be sure to acknowledge them.
Also in my opinion they are one of the intelligent species of turtles and are playful, after they get attached to you and start identifying you as their owner they will play around with you and would even come to you if they see you after a long time.
One word of caution for the keepers, even if they are playful and seem cute, they are turtles and not cat/dog so limit touching and holding them in your hands because they may harbor typhoid bacteria or any other virulent organism, also its stressful for your turtle if he/she doesn't like it. Imagine yourself hanging in air for most of your day and then place your turtle in your place, this is how they feel when they are hanging in your hands. Even if they start liking it or become habitual for it you are changing their natural behavior, so if you can avoid touching them much. This is true for any turtle/tortoise species.

                                                            By: Dr. Siddharth Mishra

 



Disclaimer: The medicines/ treatment and methods of taking care of the turtle/tortoise described here are in no way perfect on their own and patented by the author, they are the result of collective experiences of the author and his readings and by his associations to other keepers and should not be used as an alternative to Professional Vetrinarian advice, Readers should use their discretion when using the medicines and/or care sheet described here, the authors can't be held responsible for any damage, loss, side effect or death of any animal / pet due to negligence of the keeper or the caretaker using any of the above methodologies and treatments.
The images displayed from other sources are the property of their owners and the author no way claims ownership over images from other sources, Original images are the work of author and should be treated as author's property when using for reference or any other miscellaneous use


Comments

  1. This turtles are very nice and cheap.that was my first turtle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are Indian tent turtle and Indian roofed turtle different species?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. based on my knowledge Yes, if you find any thing on the contrary please let us know

      Delete
  3. What are the food available in market for indian tent turtle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taiyo dicovery premium turtle food is what my indian tent turtles are loving.i adopted 2 turtles from a friend of mine who got divorced and there was no body to take care of his pets in his absccce.i went to a pet shop and bought a 45 gram pack of taiyo discovery turtle food for100 rupees.i think print price is 130 ,when my turtle food about to exhausted,I checked online and ordered a 500 gram pack which has a print price of 360 and I got it for less then 200 rupees including shipping.this readymade meal has white fish,shrimps, wheat flour,some vitamins and minerals..
    It also have calcium to support geowtg of strong shell.
    It also has spirulina added,it's an algae which is considered a super food for humans.
    The meal comes in thin sticks like pellets and the moment I drop the feed in water, turtles gets the smell I think as they rush towards the feed and compete with each other to eat maximum.
    Box says we should feed every 2 hours as much as turtles can eat but it has no guidelines about how much is enough for single meal.
    The pet shop told me to give 4 to 6 sticks twice daily.but the meal box instruct to feed every two hours,so confused,I started increasing they diet and now I randomly throw 40-50 pieces in water and they eat all of them.
    May be tge instructions to feed every two hours is exaggerated the way companies recommend taking 3 scoops of protien powder daily though the fact is that our body can not absorb and store so much protien.but as fast we exhaust our protein powder,we will buy more and more.may be turtle feed advisory is like that.
    I gave them spinach,but they just tasted it and left in the water to float.
    They did not eat cabbage too.
    Gave them cauliflower leaves,that they ate easily.not yet tried kale other leafy stuff.
    When I take them in sun to let them have vitamin D, they run towards shaded area.
    Only today I started giving them feed every 2-3 hours,they are eating all.
    Everytime they eat,they release shit.
    Cauliflower leaves you can get for free from any vegetables seller as some leaves are attached to the stems around cauliflower,peel off the leaves as they dontd eat the stem part.cut the leaves in small size and drop them in water.
    At night I put them in a room to roam free.daytime they spend in a bucket half filled with water.
    I have a pair but dontd know how to di
    Ffrentiate between a male and a female.they are 1.5yr old as per my friend.
    I read on internet that we can also give them lettuce but I haven't tried it.
    So basically try different options every few hours and see what your turtle likes.
    The readymade meal I mentioned,buy a small pack first,and check if you tent turtles like it or not.
    If they like,then order a bigger pack and save money.
    Can anybody tell how to determine age and sex of indian tent turtles?
    Honestly speaking I am against keeping pets in captivity,but in or around Delhi,water bodies and river yamuna is so polluted and toxic that I can not release them in wild,I know they will die.
    If anybody has any questions pls feel free to ask.
    And people who have answers for my questions,please leave a reply.
    One question : is it legal to keep indian tent turtles as pets in India?

    Thanks to admin of this forum who brought together all turtles lovers at this platform/blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to limit there food down a bit I would feed them 50 sticks and then no more if you do more they will get fat

      Delete
  5. brother ,even i have indian tent turtle but his/her ( i don't know its gender ) shell isn't growing can u help me with that ?
    any cure for that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you feed him? Does he get proper nutrition, calcium and access to sunlight? If he doesn’t receive atleast one of these, he will lack growth

      Delete
  6. Can you please tell me how much should I feed my 3 month old ��. I used to give him a pellet thrice each day and all of a sudden he started to be a bit lazy and is pooping green now. Pls help asap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green poop is completely normal until it’s solid. Please describe other symptoms.

      Delete
    2. What if the poop is solid

      Delete
  7. In India is it legal to keep tent turtle as a pet? Or can i buy/sale it in olx?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They catch the person selling or buying any type of illegal species of turtle on OLX so beware

      Delete
  8. i have a problem with my turtle her shell isn't growing i tried using uvb lamp but it isn't helping me can u please suggest me a way it can help me ? plz sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend taiyo turtle sticks which are of green colour for better growth and also make sure you even allow the turtle to bask in the sun in order to help it absorb vitamin D

      Delete
  9. It is actually illegal, but I have been having my Indian tent turtle with me since more than 16 years now. She is a strong and happy adult who recognises me very well. Her name is Kuchi Puchi. Mine loves basking in the sun, your turtles run to find the shade only because they feel unsafe and unprotected, hence they try to find shade/shelter to hide. Secondly if your turtle grows more than 5 inches then it is a ‘she’, if less than that, then it is a ‘he’. Please wait to determine its sex if it’s too young
    Please feed your turtle only thrice a day whenever you have your food. You will be surprised but they’ll even love to have the thin upper layer of phulka( plain roti)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one problem mine is he n he since today not feeling well mean while something black is coming out of his tail what he wants to do i can't understand plz let know what to do ?

      Delete
  10. Hello, I've bought Indian tent turtle 2 days ago. The problem is it is not eating anything from last 2 days. I've given him turtle food, parsley. But it is not eating anything. What to do? Feel free to contact me.
    Anshuman
    9807056653

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anshuman,
      It is quite natural for the turtles to be a bit shy initially. However i would reccomend you to take him to a vet if you feel it is unusual. Dont try to force feed as you may scare it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I've talked to the shopkeeper he has told me that it's normal to not eat for 4-5 days initially. Once he is comfortable with the new environment he'll start eating.

      Delete
  11. My turtle get fungal infection on his skin near legs, even i have provided him a heater. Any suggestions? By anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Indian tent turtle is sheddding its skin from neck eyes and limbs ......is it normal ? And it is feeling very weak ..... what to do ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is completely normal even my turtle is shedding skin from neck and all reptiles shed their skin. If he is feeling very weak then take that turtle to the vet or to the shopkeeper from whom you have bought that turtle. I have indian tent turtle for about 10 years and he is a male of 5 inches.

      Delete
    2. If you have any more queries feel free to ask

      Delete
  13. Hi my turtle is not growing I got him 3 year back please can u help me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi what is the average life expectancy of the Indian tent turtle ? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Sir,
    My Indian Tent Turtle is not eating food and his body is swollen. Please can you tell me what can I do for save his life? It's urgent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can indian tent turtle live with fishes? If yes which one?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Indian tent trutle name is EVI . My trutle size is 2.5 inch (6.5 cm) I give her 6.5 pellets twice a day , isn't it correct or I want to give more { so how much} plss telll

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have 2 indian tent turtles. I keep them in a tub. And put them out of the tub for atleast an hour twice or thrice. This is my first time having turtles. Can anyone please guide me how much time should i should keep them in water and how much time should they spend out on the floor to roam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least 8 hour ,but in cold season you have to keep at least 12 hours
      And daily give them natural sunlight at least 2 hours but take a break like they complete 1 hour taking sunlight then keep them in water for 5 min for cool down ( because when they taking sunlight they become hot ) after completed in water then take them out and give them 1 hour more


      You have to changed there water at least 3 times

      Delete
    2. My turtles are not able to go inside the water they are always floting

      Delete
  19. Hi my male turtle is small and becoming dusky i can't understand that is it shedding or something else? And also he always find shade to hide how do i make him feel safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two turtle male and female and i keep them in tub so till what level i should filled the tub with water?? And i keep them in room and not under any light but give them sun basking is it okay??

      Delete
  20. hey plz someone tell me can i leave my 8 inch turtle in a tub for two days without food because i am going for a emergency and i cant take her with me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Care of Indian Flap shell turtle (Lissemys Punctata):

Care of Red Eared Slider Turtles